CBD products have garnered popularity among pet parents. Your dog can reap several health benefits from consuming CBD oil. This is why it is essential to get all your facts about these products before trying them.
A popular question that .many fur parents ask is, "What are the signs that CBD oil is working on my dog?" Because veterinary care can be costly, more pet owners are shifting to more holistic alternatives.
This comprehensive guide discusses everything CBD for pets. From the definition of CBD to its working principle and signs CBD oil is working for your canine, there is a lot to learn here.
Everything You Should Know About CBD for Your Furry Friend
Also known as cannabidiol, CBD is a naturally occurring chemical in cannabis. Unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), known for its psychoactive effects, CBD cannot get your dog “high.”
Understand how CBD for dogs works:
- Your dog’s body has a messenger system–the endocannabinoid system (ECS)
- The ECS regulates vital physiological processes like sleep, mood, pain, and appetite, among others
- The ECS is spread throughout the body and can be found in essential organs like the lungs and brain
- This regulatory framework has CB1 and CB2 receptors
- Upon entry of CBD into your dog's system, the substance binds to the receptors, impacting their activities
- This interaction stimulates the digestive, immune and nervous systems, including the brain
This is why CBD has significant health benefits. While research on this compound is still in its initial stages, many studies and anecdotal evidence point to the fact that it could help treat conditions such as cancer, arthritis, and heart-related diseases.
One important thing you need to remember is that the fact that CBD products are available for sale doesn’t necessarily mean they are safe or are loaded with health benefits. As of now, the FDA does not regulate the world of CBD. Therefore, if you do not do your research well, you risk falling prey to dishonest retailers.
What Do Vets Have to Say About CBD?
Of course, discussing this with your vet before starting your dog on any health regimen is recommended. However, you should also understand the murky waters of CBD legality. Some states prohibit vets from advising on the usage of these products. In such cases, your vet may be unwilling to divulge information on the same. Those that do so risk license suspension and penalties.
In some states, however, veterinarians are free to discuss anything CBD with pet owners. Recently, California passed a law that bars state regulators from punishing veterinarians that talk to their clients about cannabis use for pets, including their side effects.
How Long Do the Effects of CBD Take To Kick In?
This may also be a question you've been asking yourself. The answer? There is no answer because several factors are at play here. They include:
- Dog Weight: CBD dosages are administered on a by-weight basis. This means that heavier and larger canines consume more than lighter and smaller ones. After you've given your dog CBD, watch out for any behavioral changes and adjust the dose when necessary.
- Oil Concentration: Unfortunately, there is no standard CBD concentration because of the different brands in the business. If you go for CBD oil with a higher concentration, your dog will consume less and still attain the full benefits of CBD.
- Mode of Administration: There are different ways of giving CBD to your dog. Sublingual application, however, is the fastest, while adding to meals is the slowest.
- Your Dog’s Sensitivity: If you have several dogs, you’ll notice that they have different sensitivities. The only way you can establish this is by giving them CBD oil and watching out for any changes in behavior.
- Intended Effects: The active times for different goals will vary. For instance, if you give your dog CBD to stop a continuing seizure, results may be witnessed within seconds. However, if you administer CBD for pain relief, you may have to wait a little longer for the effects to kick in.
- At the low end for managing situational stress, the effects of CBD may kick in 15 to 30 seconds after ingestion. This is when it is given sublingually to a small dog in large amounts.
- At the high end for dealing with appetite loss or pain, it may take at least 45 minutes for CBD to take effect. This is when it is administered to a dog that has developed some resistance to the effects of CBD.
- Do not ignore the possibility of your dog not responding to CBD. The compound builds up in your body, so vets recommend dosing for a whole week before expecting results for more severe issues.
How Long Do the Results of CBD Oil Last?
This depends on your dog's size, breed, physical activity level, and age. It is also dependent on dosage and existing ailments. Averagely, the effects of CBD can last from four to eight hours.
Here is an interesting fact: if you add CBD to your dog’s food, digestion will be slower in senior dogs. Also, the effects will last for a longer time. This is incredible, especially for dogs that suffer from pain.
How Can I Tell if CBD Is Helping My Dog?
As you have read above, after ingestion, it may take time before your dog experiences the magic of CBD. The key is administering a consistent dosage over a specific period. Ensure you observe your little friend carefully to see whether CBD improves their wellbeing.
So, how can you tell when CBD has begun to affect your pup’s endocannabinoid system? Here are common signs to look out for:
1. Improved Mobility
If your furry friend is experiencing joint pain, your veterinarian may recommend pain meds. However, most of these medications cause soft tissue and joint deterioration. This is why there has been a shift to CBD. It has anti-inflammatory properties and doesn’t pose life-threatening side effects.
The compound binds to CB1 receptors located in the brain. The receptors stimulate your dog’s immune system to lessen inflammation. Additionally, they alter the brain's response to pain. CBD also binds to CB2 receptors located in the immune and nervous systems. This stimulates the production of more cannabinoids naturally. As a result, inflammation and the pain associated with it are reduced.
Common joint problems that CBD oil can treat in dogs include:
- Torn ligaments
- Elbow and hip dysplasia
- Strains and sprains
Signs That CBD Oil Has Improved Your Dog’s Mobility
If you notice:
- A reduction in the time it takes for your dog to stand up,
- Increased bravery or enthusiasm,
- Your dog exploring the different parts of your home and going back to its usual playful mode,
- Less licking of pressure points and joints,
It could be because the CBD treatment is working.
2. Reduced Cancer Symptoms
Unfortunately, about 50% of senior dogs will suffer from cancer. Cancer can be frustrating for your dog and you, particularly if they undergo radiation or chemotherapy. Cancer researchers are always looking for new ways to treat the menace and reduce the nausea and pain that come with it. And CBD has been studied extensively for its cancer-fighting properties.
Here is some evidence that points to the effectiveness of CBD as a cancer treatment option:
- A study in mice established that CBD inhibited the growth of mammary cancer cells
- In 2018, researchers also found that mice being treated for pancreatic cancer benefited from CBD as it increased their lifespan
- Other animal studies reveal that CBD oil possesses cancer-fighting abilities and can reduce tumor growth
- Another study showed that CBD treatment could increase cancer cells' sensitivity. This means using CBD enhances the performance of conventional cancer treatments.
- CBD blocks the ability of cancer cells to generate energy, killing them
- CBD helps relieve pain and nausea associated with cancer
Signs That CBD Oil Has Improved Your Dog’s Mobility
If you notice:
- Renewed enthusiasm (because CBD has anti-inflammatory properties),
- Decreased swelling and improved movement (because CBD reduces swelling and eases the pain associated with it),
- Improved sleep (as CBD is a natural stress reliever, it will help your dog fall asleep easily),
- Improved appetite (CBD causes a feeling of hunger),
- Improved mood (CBD has properties that target brain regions responsible for depression and anxiety)
It means typical cancer symptoms like inflammation, pain, and sleep deprivation have been dealt with.
3. Reduced Seizure and Epilepsy Symptoms
You may notice that your usually vibrant dog appears confused and unsteady. They then fall to the floor. This is what a seizure looks like. If such episodes are regular, your four-legged friend may have a seizure disorder.
Another name for this condition is epilepsy. It is caused by abnormal bursts of electrical activity in the brain. Seizures often manifest as uncontrollable shaking or twitches.
Here are some facts about CBD and epilepsy you should know:
- While most vets prescribe anti-epileptic drugs for this ailment, they harm your pet's organs, such as the liver. This is why CBD has been researched for its anti-epileptic properties.
- A study conducted at Colorado State University on the effectiveness of CBD in managing epilepsy revealed that about 89% of the dogs that received the treatment experienced reduced seizures.
- Human trials also reveal that CBD was effective even in patients with drug-resistant epilepsy
Because of its interactions with the ECS, CBD helps reduce the severity and frequency of seizures.
Signs That CBD Oil Has Reduced Your Dog’s Seizure and Epilepsy Symptoms
If you notice a reduction in the following seizure symptoms:
- Tongue chewing,
- Foaming at the mouth,
Then CBD oil has effectively managed epilepsy in your dog.
Suppose you are administering CBD oil to your dog to manage chronic conditions like seizures. In that case, the best way to gauge effectiveness is by comparing symptoms before the treatment and after a few weeks. Concentrate on things like duration, intensity, and frequency.
Also, remember that CBD may not eliminate your pet's symptoms as pharmaceutical drugs can. Instead, symptoms should become less severe with time as CBD concentrations rise. Dogs are different, so consider adjusting the dosage until the symptoms can be managed or go away completely.
4. Reduced Anxiety
Loud noises, old age, separation from loved ones, or changes in the environment can cause anxiety in dogs. It often manifests as aggression and fear. As you might have already guessed, several anti-anxiety medications are available. However, CBD is a popular treatment option as it carries no adverse side effects.
Here is evidence of CBD’s effectiveness in managing anxiety:
- Humans using CBD to manage pain, depression, and anxiety have reported positive results. The substance has also helped manage insomnia and anxiety in kids with PTSD.
- Animal studies reveal that CBD has antidepressant effects
- A study in 2012 that focussed on stress in rats exposed to cats revealed that those that were given repeated CBD doses experienced less anxiety than those that received only a single dose.
While it still isn’t clear how CBD helps relieve stress, experts argue that it does so by regulating serotonin. This hormone is responsible for digestion, appetite, sleep, and mood regulation.
Signs That CBD Oil Has Reduced Your Dog’s Anxiety
The following signs will let you know that your dog's anxiety symptoms have been reduced thanks to CBD:
- Reduced growling
- Reduced snapping and guard-dog responses
- Increased playfulness
- Improved communication with animals and people around them
- Improved urination and defecation behaviors
- Improved bowel movements
- Reduced pacing or barking
Other Signs That CBD Oil Is Working for Your Dog
Here are some other signs that indicate CBD oil is working its magic on your canine friend:
- Improved Mood: CBD is known to improve your pooch’s mood and relax them.
- Better Sleep: A dog that experiences trouble sleeping could use the health goodness of CBD oil. It can help improve their sleep patterns.
- Reduced Pain: Dogs suffering from pain can benefit from CBD oil as it helps ease their discomfort.
- Increased Appetite: CBD oil can stimulate your dog’s appetite, increasing their food consumption.
In conclusion, the benefits of CBD oil are unlimited. Your dog can greatly benefit from CBD products. Also, there are several signs that CBD oil is working for dogs. You may notice an increased appetite and reduced aggression or anxiety.
If your dog may have had trouble falling asleep in the past, you may start noticing an improved sleep pattern and general improvement in their life quality. If you see any of these changes, the benefits of CBD oil have likely been witnessed.
You should, however, continue monitoring your little friend's response to the product. In case of any queries or concerns, always contact your veterinarian.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does CBD Oil Make a Dog Feel?
Potential effects of CBD oil on your dog include:
- Relaxation: CBD oil is known for its calming effect on canines. This helps reduce stress and anxiety. As a result, your dog will remain calm and relaxed even in stressful situations like new environments or loud noises.
- Pain Relief: Thanks to its anti-inflammatory attributes, CBD oil can help relieve inflammation and pain in dogs. This is particularly beneficial to pups with chronic pain conditions like joint problems or arthritis.
- Improved Appetite: CBD oil can also increase appetite in dogs. This is helpful for dogs experiencing a declined appetite due to illness or other factors.
- Improved Mobility: Old age in dogs is often characterized by decreased energy due to ailments or several other factors. With old age comes reduced physical activity and playfulness. Senior dogs often feel lethargic or sluggish. With CBD, however, your dog's energy levels can tremendously improve.
- Enhanced Sleep: Is your dog experiencing difficulties falling asleep? CBD oil might be just what they need. It is known to improve sleep patterns in canines, promoting healthy sleep.
- Improved overall wellbeing
How Long Does It Take for a Dog to Feel the Effects of CBD Oil?
The duration may vary depending on several factors. Generally, if administered to a small dog, the effects of CBD kick in within 15 to 30 minutes. In dogs that have developed some resistance to the substance, this may take 45 minutes or more.
Can CBD Calm Down Dogs?
Yes, CBD can calm your dog. CBD interacts with the ECS, which is responsible for regulating vital physiological functions like sleep, mood, and appetite. One of CBD’s benefits for pets is its stress- and anxiety-reducing properties. This is particularly beneficial for dogs suffering from noise phobia or separation anxiety. CBD calms the brain, helping reduce anxiety, therefore improving your dog’s overall wellbeing.
Can Dogs Have a CBD Overdose?
CBD oil is safe for your dog. For this reason, it is improbable that your dog can overdose on CBD oil. Generally, CBD oil is considered safe for pets and poses little to no side effects, even when consumed at high doses.
However, this doesn't mean you can give your dog excessive CBD amounts. Ensure you always follow the correct dosage and discuss with your vet before starting off your dog on this health regimen.
Also, you need not worry about addiction as CBD oil contains negligible traces of THC (0.3% at most). THC is the component responsible for marijuana’s psychoactive effects.
At Honest Paws, your dog's health is our number one priority. This is why we stock a variety of CBD products. At our store, you can find CBD tinctures, bites, chews, and topicals. Are you interested in CBD products and want to know the signs that CBD oil is working for your dog? Check out our catalog today.
How can we help?
Call or Text us now: 1-844-729-7790