If you’re considering getting the best quality dog CBD oil, you must be having a series of questions. At the top of your list of queries is probably, “For which symptoms and causes can CBD oil be used for dogs?"
This article answers this question and several others about the CBD topic. It also defines the terminology and highlights the several ways you can administer CBD oil to your furry friend.
CBD is the acronym for cannabidiol–an active ingredient in the hemp plant. Unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD has no psychoactive effects. For this reason, it can’t get your pet “high”.
Instead, it possesses anti-inflammatory and medicinal attributes. As you might know, the consumption of CBD products has garnered popularity over the years.
Not much is known about the substance, and the legal environment surrounding CBD products is quite murky. However, several studies are underway to shed more light on the use of such products.
Symptoms and Causes That CBD Oil Can Help With in Dogs
Dogs can also be afflicted by arthritis and other human diseases. When this occurs, CBD oil for animals will come in handy. This is because of its soothing effect on inflammation and pain. Besides, the substance can help calm nervous dogs or those experiencing epileptic episodes.
Here are some of the symptoms in dogs that can be managed with CBD oil:
Epilepsy and Seizures
You may notice your ever-happy pup become confused and unsteady. They may then fall on the floor, shaking violently. When this happens, it is a sign that they are having a seizure. If this happens often, your pet may be diagnosed with a seizure disorder or epilepsy.
These episodes result from unregulated bursts of electrical activity in your little friend's brain. Seizures may resemble a twitch or uncontrollable shaking and could last for several minutes or less than a minute.
Common causes of seizures in dogs include:
- Liver and kidney disease
- Brain cancer
- Head injury
Look out for the following symptoms:
- Muscle twitching
- Chewing of the tongue
- Foaming at the mouth
After a seizure, your pup may be wobble, disoriented, or temporarily blind. They may feel dizzy and bump into things as they walk.
Types of Seizures
Your dog can experience three types of seizures:
`1. Focal Seizures
These occur in only one part of the brain. Symptoms include rhythmic eye blinking, head shaking, dilated pupils, and restlessness.
2. Generalized Seizures
These happen in all parts of the dog's brain. It is common for dogs experiencing a generalized seizure to lose consciousness and defecate or urinate.
3. Focal to Generalized Seizures
It is very common for a focal seizure to graduate to a generalized seizure. The focal seizure is often very short and is swiftly followed by a generalized seizure.
CBD Oil for Seizures
Mammals have an endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is simply a mesh of receptors that regulates significant functions in the body. Endocannabinoids are produced by the body when needed to maintain a state of homeostasis.
A condition like epilepsy obviously disrupts this balance. As a result, some essential body functions stop. Introducing cannabinoids helps restore this balance.
There are two types of endocannabinoid receptors: CB1 and CB2 receptors. CB1 receptors are located predominantly in the nervous system, brain, organs, and glands. On the other hand, CB2 receptors are found in the immune system's regulatory cells.
CBD's interaction with these receptors helps calm overactive neurons and control seizures. Giving your four-legged friend a regular dose of CBD is recommended to reduce the frequency and severity of seizures. Ideally, administer CBD oil twice daily.
Is CBD Effective in Treating Dog Seizures?
Several pet parents have shared their CBD success stories. According to their testimonials, CBD oil has helped their pets beat seizures, including situations where conventional drugs have been ineffective.
1. Joint Problems
Dogs of any age or breed can experience joint pain. However, it is more common in senior dogs. Failure to address this condition promptly can cause severe injuries and illnesses. Two types of joint issues could be causing your little friend pain–developmental and degenerative joint pain.
- Developmental Joint Problems
These are present in your pet from birth. Generally, developmental joint issues are a result of genetic issues. They cause improper development of your dog in its early stages of growth. Left untreated, these issues could result in conditions like hip or elbow dysplasia.
- Degenerative Joint Problems
These result from repeated use of your furry friend's joints, including tendon injury and wearing down of cartilage. A common degenerative joint issue is cruciate ligament problems. This is a condition characterized by the degeneration of tissues over time.
Here is how you can tell your dog is experiencing joint pain:
- Limping and stiffness
- Appetite loss
- Frequent slipping during movement
- Biting or chewing the affected area
CBD Oil for Joint Problems
Your vet may recommend various pain meds for your dog in pain. However, besides being ineffective, these drugs pose severe side effects. This is where CBD comes in. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is the best treatment option.
Also, unlike drugs, it poses no serious side effects. It binds to CB1 receptors in the brain and CB2 receptors in the immune and nervous systems. Resultantly, inflammation and any pain associated with it are reduced.
Dogs are prone to the same types of cancer as humans. Cancer is the result of uncontrolled cell growth in the body. Detected late, it can extend to the lymph or circulatory systems. It can also reach other tissues in your dog’s body.
Common cancer types in dogs
The following are some of the most common cancer types in dogs:
- Hemangiosarcoma: An incurable cell tumor that lines endothelial cells. It is common in elderly or middle-aged dogs. Breeds like German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers are more susceptible to this type of cancer.
- Mast Cell Tumors: Immune cells that cause allergies. Because this tumor afflicts certain dog breeds, it may be caused by genetics.
- Lymphoma: A form of dog cancer that often manifests as swollen lymph nodes that you can see or feel behind your dog's knee, in front of their shoulders, or under their neck.
- Osteosarcoma: The most common form of cancer in dogs. It occurs in several areas but is common in the bones near the knee, wrist, or shoulder. It is rampant in large dogs but also affects other dogs.
- Brain Tumors: Common symptoms of this type of tumor are extreme changes in behaviors and seizures. However, MRIs and CAT scans can help establish the exact location and size of the tumor.
- Bladder Cancer: Common symptoms are urinary bleeding and obstruction. This type of cancer develops slowly, and you may notice it 3 to 6 months later.
Other forms of cancer in dogs include melanoma, mammary carcinoma, and testicular cancer. Look out for the following symptoms:
- Bumps and lumps beneath the dog’s skin
- Swelling in the abdomen
- Non-healing sores or wounds
- Change in appetite
- Depression or lethargy
- Abnormal discharge and odors from the ears, mouth, and eyes
CBD Oil for Cancer
CBD has been researched for its cancer-fighting properties. Research supports that CBD oil can be beneficial to canines in the following ways.
CBD Supports Anti-cancer Medication
CBD can significantly reduce tumor size. Its anti-tumor properties have proven to help with several forms of human cancers like leukemia and breast and lung cancer. One study found that besides its tumor-shrinking effects, CBD also enhances the tumor-shrinking mechanisms employed in radiation therapy. This way, the treatment's dose can be reduced without decreasing efficacy. As a result, the harmful side effects of radiation therapy are reduced.CBD Helps Reduce Inflammation and Pain
Inflammation and pain can be symptoms of the disease’s advancement or effects of treatment. A huge part of cancer treatment in dogs is pain management. Unfortunately, unlike CBD, most pain meds cause severe side effects like kidney and liver failure in your canine friend.
Meanwhile, research indicates that CBD can reduce inflammation and pain in dogs. Moreover, it enhances the mechanisms of other medications. This way, vets can recommend fewer drugs or smaller doses without jeopardizing your dog’s health.
- CBD Boosts the Immune System
CBD reduces oxidative stress. This improves the body’s ability to kill off intruding pathogens without damaging healthy tissue. CBD also regulates healthy gut function, which is linked to immune health.
- CBD Helps With Appetite and Nausea
Common side effects of cancer treatment in canine members are appetite loss and nausea. CBD has been researched for its ability to improve nausea and appetite.
How Does CBD Work
CBD achieves all of the above by interacting with the ECS, which regulates pain, movement, mood, anxiety, and nausea. During these interactions, it mimics the effects of naturally occurring cannabinoids. This way, it helps manage different forms of pain caused by cancer to offer relief.
Certain cancers can also cause seizures which can be terrifying for both you and your furry friend. CBD is known to reduce the severity and frequency of seizures in dogs, meaning it will be an invaluable addition to your dog’s cancer treatment plan.
Anxiety in dogs is a healthy and normal emotion. Here are the different types of anxiety your dog can experience:
- Separation Anxiety: This occurs when your pet hates being separated from you. According to experts, dogs often associate valuable things like walks, play, and company with when you are around. Therefore, when left alone, they feel they can have neither of the good stuff and end up developing anxiety.
- Fear-Related Anxiety: Noises associated with fireworks and thunderstorms can trigger anxiety in dogs. Strange people and environments also have the same effect.
- Age-Related Anxiety: It is rampant in senior dogs and is linked with cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS). CDS resembles the early signs of Alzheimer’s disease in humans and is characterized by a decline in memory, perception, awareness, and learning.
Signs and Symptoms of Dog Anxiety
Here is how to tell your pup has anxiety issues:
- Excessive drooling
- Destructive behavior
- Excessive barking
CBD Oil for Anxiety
Most people that use CBD do so for pain, depression, and anxiety relief. CBD has also helped manage insomnia and anxiety in kids with PTSD. Animal studies reveal that the substance has similar antidepressant effects in dogs. If your dog is anxious, administer CBD sublingually.
Typically, the oil takes 5 to 20 minutes for its effects to kick in. However, CBD is the most beneficial for anxiety when administered over a certain time duration. Therefore, if your furry friend experiences anxiety frequently, it is wise to give them CBD oil daily.
As aforementioned, mammals have the ECS that contains cannabinoid receptors. CBD binds to these receptors, helping regulate the production of serotonin. Serotonin is a natural mood booster responsible for regulating social behavior, mood, digestion, appetite, and sleep.
Dogs, too, react to environmental changes or exposure to some things. Common allergies in dogs include:
- Skin Allergies: Mainly caused by food allergies, environmental allergens, and flea allergy dermatitis. Flea allergy dermatitis is a reaction to fleabites. Food sensitivity and allergies can also result in itchy skin. Environmental allergens like pollen and mold can cause atopic dermatitis.
- Food Allergies: Often result in an immune response which can be skin conditions like itchiness or GI signs like diarrhea. It could also be a combination of both.
- Acute Allergic Reactions: Your dog can go into anaphylactic shock if they react severely to an allergen. If not treated timely, this could be fatal. Vaccine reactions and bee stings are some of the things that can cause an anaphylactic response in your pet.
Symptoms of Allergies in Dogs
Common symptoms of allergic reactions in dogs include:
- Inflammation of the skin
- Sneezing constant licking
- Itchy eyes
CBD Oil for Allergies
CBD can help manage allergies in dogs in the following ways:
- Reducing Inflammation: CBD oil helps treat unpleasant skin allergies by lessening inflammation. Resultantly, it relieves your dog from discomfort. According to a study conducted in 2021, CD functions by reducing skin itchiness and gradually healing it.
- Easing Pain: Dogs having allergic reactions often exhibit swelling and soreness of the skin. This poses great pain and discomfort. Thanks to the anti-inflammatory nature of CBD oil, it helps to ease this pain significantly.
- Bringing Comfort: CBD oil soothes your dog’s pain and brings them comfort. It acts on your dog's immune system to kill off the pain resulting from allergy symptoms.
A 2007 study revealed that the ECS is linked to allergic contact dermatitis (allergic skin reactions in animals). Researchers have established that specific cannabinoids could fight allergic reactions. This shows that the ECS plays a huge role in skin allergies. Because CBD can interact with the ECS, it helps regulate allergic reactions in your dog’s body.
Dogs suffer from three forms of diabetes:
- Type I / Insulin-Dependent Diabetes: The cells responsible for insulin secretion in the pancreas are damaged, so the body lacks insulin.
- Type II / Noninsulin-Dependent Diabetes: This type of diabetes is linked to obesity. The pancreas produces less insulin, and body cells respond poorly to the secreted insulin.
- Type III Diabetes: It is linked to pregnancy and is hormone-induced. While Type III diabetes is rare in dogs, it can be fatal when it occurs.
Symptoms of Diabetes
Check out for any of these signs in your dog:
- Weight loss
- Increased appetite
- Increased urination
- Increased thirst
Diabetes Risk Factors
The following factors increase your dog’s susceptibility to diabetes:
- Age: Although diabetes affects dogs of all ages, it is more rampant in older dogs.
- Sex: Female dogs are more likely to have diabetes than their male counterparts.
- Pancreatitis: Chronic pancreatic inflammation imminently damages the pancreas, causing diabetes.
- Obesity: Obesity is a significant contributing factor to insulin resistance. This leads to pancreatitis and, resultantly, diabetes.
- Genetics: Some breeds are more vulnerable to this illness compared to others.
CBD Oil for Diabetes
Besides its interactions with the ECS, CBD possesses anti-inflammatory characteristics. Therefore, it is only sensible for the substance to help manage the inflammatory nature of diabetes.
Studies have revealed that CBD can help dogs with diabetes in the following ways:
- Stabilizing blood sugars
- Suppressing arterial inflammation, which is a common trait of diabetes
- Preventing nerve inflammation and easing the pain of neuropathy
- Lowering blood pressure, thus helping reduce the risk of heart conditions
- Ensuring blood vessels remain open to improve circulation
- Relieving muscle cramps and the discomfort and pain associated with gastrointestinal disorders
4. Sleep Disorders
“Is my dog having enough sleep?” As a pet owner, this is a question you should ask yourself often. The average dog sleeps about 12 to 14 hours daily, night-time and daytime naps included. It is vital that your dog gets enough sleep so they feel more rested and replenished.
A dog with sleep disorders may cry or wake up at night. During the day, they will seem disoriented. Because sleep deprivation causes a build-up of stress hormones, dogs with sleep disorders tend to be more aggressive.
Most Common sleep disorders in dogs
Here are the most common sleep disorders in dogs.
- Narcolepsy: A sleep disorder of the nervous system that is common in young pups. Often, it is caused by a genetic disorder that results in deficient hypocretin levels. Hypocretin is a chemical compound tasked with maintaining alertness and normal sleep patterns. Other causes of this sleep disorder are physical inactivity and obesity. If your dog has narcolepsy, you may notice that they will collapse unceremoniously after a period of activity or excitement.
- Insomnia: Dogs rarely experience insomnia, but when they do, it is usually a sign of an underlying health issue. Injuries, arthritis, anxiety, and stress can cause it. In senior dogs, particularly, cognitive dysfunction can interrupt the regular sleep pattern, causing insomnia.
- Sleep Apnea: While rare in dogs, sleep apnea is common in obese dogs and certain breeds like Pugs. The condition is characterized by temporary collapsing or narrowing of the airways that suddenly wake your dog. The disruptions can each last about 20 seconds and often leave your furry friend fatigued and sluggish. A common sign of the disorder is loud, chronic snoring.
- REM Behaviour Disorder: This condition causes physical activity in your pup’s sleep. They may dream that they are chasing around small animals. However, in some cases, the dreams are violent. Your dog may dream of ramming into a wall or fighting with inanimate objects. Dogs with this condition wake up calmly and do not show any signs of disorientation. This is what differentiates REM disorder from a seizure.
CBD Oil for Sleep Disorders
Using the best quality dog CBD oil is safe and effective in aiding sleep in dogs. CBD is known to manage symptoms like joint pain, anxiety, and allergies. It has also proven effective in managing IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) and seizures. All these symptoms could be the reason your dog is always awake.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Administer CBD Oil to Dogs?
You can use any of these methods to administer CBD oil to your dog:
- Dispensing the Oil Sublingually: This is the easiest and most efficient way of administering CBD oil products like CBD Oil Tincture–Well. Your dog ingests the recommended dose and reaps most of its health benefits. To give your dog CBD oil directly in the mouth, draw the oil and move it close to the mouth. Then, squeeze the required amount of drops using the dropper.
- Mixing CBD Oil with Food: This is ideal, especially with picky eaters. Putting CBD oil in their favorite meals will work as the food masks the taste of CBD. Dry foods have proven more effective in doing this. Wet foods aren't recommended as they do not thoroughly blend with CBD. Consequently, your pet will quickly pick up on the taste of CBD. Start with smaller doses and increase them gradually.
- Mixing CBD Oil with Something Delicious: You can mix the oil with treats like peanut butter. The treat contains oil, so adding CBD oil will be easy. Just remember to use the recommended dose.
You can also present CBD oil as a treat, dilute it with water or infuse its healthy goodness in homemade treats.
How Long Does It Take for CBD to Work on Dogs?
Unfortunately, there is no universal answer to this question. The duration is dependent on the following factors:
- Weight: The larger your furry friend, the more CBD oil you will need to give them to realize results.
- Oil Concentration: A higher CBD oil concentration means you need less for the effects to kick in.
- Method of Administration: Sublingual application involves putting the CBD oil directly in the dog’s mouth. It is the fastest and most efficient way of administering CBD oil.
- Dog Sensitivity: Dogs have varying sensitivities, and you can only tell this by giving them CBD oil and observing any changes.
- Intended Effects: Giving your dog CBD oil to stop a seizure happens faster than giving it for pain relief.
Generally, if the CBD oil is aimed at relieving acute pain or anxiety, its effects will kick in within 20 to 90 minutes. For chronic joint pain relief and anti-inflammation effects, among other CBD health benefits, this may take 3 to 4 weeks.
What Are the Long-Term Consequences of CBD Oil in Dogs?
CBD oil is an ideal supplement for your dog for the following reasons:
- Keeping the gastrointestinal tract in perfect shape
- Increasing the efficiency of crucial digestive processes
- Maintaining great cerebral health
- Enhancing the performance and emotional health of your pet
- Encouraging a calm attitude
- Providing pain and anxiety relief
It can be frustrating for both of you when your dog is in bad health. The good news? You can always trust the best quality dog CBD oil to come through for your four-legged friend. From joint pain and anxiety to diabetes and cancer, the possibilities of CBD products are limitless.
Are you interested in our products and may also want to learn the symptoms CBD oil can help with? Visit our website and check out our catalog. Contact us for any queries you may have.
How can we assist?
Call or Text us now: 1-844-729-7790